SIMBIOT is a research team that is part of the department D3 “Networks, Systems and Services” of LORIA.
The goal of the team is to design and assess « smart » Cyber-Physical Systems. For this we have to consider several characteristics:
- they have a high degree of autonomy ensuring adaptability, scalability, complexity management, security and safety, and providing trust to humans in the loop;
- they are composed by integration of numerous heterogeneous components with heterogeneous interactions in a dynamic environment;
- they are conceived as a system of systems by the integration of different components; the behaviour of some of these components as well as the one of the environment interacting with the CPS cannot be modelled in a deterministic way.
The Simbiot team focuses on adaptive properties of CPS to achieve their smartness in terms of computing and net-working as these two aspects are the foundations of such systems.
The research program is organised along the three following axes:
- Abstractions and architectures for multi-modeling, modular design, development and assessment of CPS;
- Algorithms for efficient distributed computing in CPS;
- Network architectures, protocols and QoS enhancements for supporting real-time in- teractions in CPS.
For each challenge, we process validation through co-simulation and in-situ experimentation which constitutes in itself a transverse challenge.